In 1635, settlers sailed through Plum Island Sound and up the Parker River, landing in Newbury. In 1819 West Newbury finally became a separate town from Newbury. Today West Newbury comprises approximately 15 square miles of rolling hills with broad valleys, open fields, woodlands, ponds, and historic homes. A vibrant community of about 4,500, hiking, bridle, and cross-country trails weave throughout the town. Working farms and a dairy, as well as extensive conservation land, characterize West Newbury. Icy and dramatic in winter and inviting to boaters and fishermen in spring through fall, the Merrimack River flows along the northern border, while the bustling historic port town of Newburyport lies to the east. Plum Island beaches are minutes away; New Hampshire and Maine are close by. Trains, buses, and Interstates 95 and 495 access Boston, roughly 40 miles to the south.
Things to do in West Newbury:
- Mill Pond Recreation Area: the largest trail network in West Newbury at 270 acres, allows dogs, horses, and skating on the pond in the winter.
- Riverbend Conservation Area and River Road Trail: 0.9 miles of a level riverside trail with loops through an old orchard and dense woods.
- Indian Hill Reservation: Wooded and open drumlin with crossings and climbing carriage paths on the former property of Indian Hill Farm
Restaurants in West Newbury:
- West Newbury Pizza Company: scrumptious pizza, made with fresh ingredients, homemade sauce, & endless toppings; entrees, too!
- Nick’s Place: gourmet pizzas, salads, sandwiches, and dinners – eat in or order out.
Shopping in West Newbury:
- Excentrique: vintage goods with eclectic flair including lighting, furniture, and home decor
- Nurturing Remedies: Wellness consultations, integrative nutrition, herbal medicine, lifestyle practices
- Vermette’s Market: large grocery, meat, dairy, and produce selection as well as beer, liquor & fine wines.
Although West Newbury has but a few places to shop, Newburyport, which is a fifteen-minute drive, has a myriad of options for whatever you may be seeking.
Schools in West Newbury:
West Newbury is part of the Pentucket Regional School District. The town has one elementary school: Dr. John C Page School and a regional Middle School and High School. West Newbury also offers its students the option of attending the Whittier Technical High School. While conventional schools tend to focus solely on standardized test scores, PRSD allows students to access accelerated academic opportunities, become leaders who facilitate significant change and impact the world as a creative agent, all while maintaining some of the best-standardized test scores in the state. As leaders in an educational partnership with the community, it is the purpose of the Pentucket Regional School District to ensure that all students, within a safe environment, discover and develop their talents and abilities to their highest potential, strive for academic excellence, acquire respect for self and others, and obtain the knowledge and skills to succeed and contribute as healthy, productive, and responsible citizens.
Living in West Newbury:
Contact J Barrett & Company if you have any questions!