Close to celebrating its 400th birthday, which happens in 2029, the town of Saugus remains well-known for its thriving business community and unique historic sites that include the Saugus Iron Works. Recognized as the first integrated iron works in North America, the company was in operation from 1646-1668 – long before the town was incorporated in 1815.
Today the nine-acre site includes working waterwheels, forges, mills, a historic 17th Century home, and a lush river basin. The Saugus River itself is an environmental habitat for many species of fish as well as a home for the largest lobster fishing fleet in Massachusetts.
Located only eight miles to Logan Airport and 12 miles to Boston, Saugus is a convenient commuting base for those who enjoy big-city amenities but prefer a small-town lifestyle.
Things To Do in Saugus:
- Parks & Recreation
- Saugus Iron Works: enjoy the birthplace of the American iron and steel industry.
- Breakheart Reservation: enjoy activities such as hiking, biking, horseback riding, swimming, fishing, and educational programs.
Restaurants in Saugus:
- Iron Town Diner
- Angela's Coal Fired Pizza
- Casa Vallarta Mexican Restaurant
- Shoyu Restaurant
- Route 1 Grill House
- Border Cafe
- Victor's Italian Restaurant
Shopping in Saugus:
Square One Mall: a two level climate controlled shopping mall located on Route 1. A mall serves surrounding communities such as Lynn, Revere, Everett, Stoneham, Malden, and more. Enjoy over 115 specialty stores including fashion, health & beauty, sporting goods, men's and women's apparel, as well as several restaurants.
- Lynnhurst Elementary School
- Saugus Middle High Complex
- Veterans Memorial Elementary School
- Douglas Waybright Elementary School
Living in Saugus:
Contact J Barrett & Company if you have any questions!