Salem is a waterfront community, 22.2 miles north of Boston, which is known for its maritime history and for the infamous Witchcraft Trials of 1692. Birthplace of the National Guard, Salem is a pedestrian-friendly city affording walking access to view historic architecture, visit world-famous museums, and take advantage of its diverse shopping and dining options. Easily accessed by public transportation, Salem has an MBTA station on the Gloucester & Newburyport-Boston lines, bus service to several surrounding communities, and even a ferry service direct to Boston. Salem, which boasts over a million visitors a year, is a vibrant city with many activities and diverse attractions for all. With a population of 43,132 (2016 census) it is the home of Salem State University, the Peabody Essex Museum, and many fine examples of historic residences built during the Federalist period.
Things to do in Salem
Salem Arts & Culture
- Cinema Salem: Cinema Salem is located near Salem's downtown and is more than a move theater; Cinema Salem is also an art gallery, cafe, live music venue, and is home to one of America's oldest film festivals.
- Salem Arts Association: The Salem Arts Association is a place where artists of all mediums can come and express themselves. Admission to the art gallery is always free to the public.
Salem Parks & Recreation
The Salem Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Department’s goal is to provide residents of all ages with fun and engaging experiences. They offer a spectrum of events, classes, and activities that interest people of all walks of life. Some of the properties that they oversee are:
- Salem Willows Park: a 35 acre, oceanfront park with paths, picnic areas, arcade, and several eateries
- Forest River Park: picnic areas, playground, 2 beaches, a swimming pool, and Salem Pioneer Village
- Salem Common: large, attractive park in the heart of the city
- Winter Island: a marine recreational park with a fascinating history
Restaurants in Salem
There are many eclectic and delicious restaurants, below are just a few worth checking out.
- Bella Verona: intimate restaurant with excellent Italian food.
- Firenze Trattoria: Tuscan cuisine and wines in downtown Salem
- Turner’s Seafood: classic New England seafood menu and a genuine oyster bar
- Finz Seafood & Grill: innovative and inspiring menus - overlooks historic Salem Harbor
- Cilantro: authentic, hearty, & diverse Mexican specialties in an upscale, relaxed brick-walled setting
- Rockafellas: fine dishes for any palate, including fresh seafood, Black Angus steaks, refreshing salads
- Passage to India: extensive menu including specialties from northern and southern India
- Sea Level Oyster Bar: Northshore Magazine 2017 editors’ choice for Al Fresco Dining and Dessert
Shopping in Salem
Many boutique shops line the streets of downtown Salem. Here are a few you may want to visit:
- The Cheese Shop: extra-special, sometimes-limited, super-delicious products
- The Peabody Essex Museum Shop: merchandise that increases the knowledge & appreciation of art
- Avalanche Outdoor Store: stylish and functional products for outdoor enthusiasts and travelers
- J Mode: the best kind of shopping experience in fashion with a focus on quality & individuality
- Modern Millie Shop: modern, on-trend consignments and wearable vintage
- Wicked Good Books: Northshore Magazine’s choice for Best bookstore 2016 & 2017
Salem has many Community Partners that they are proud to be associated with, including The Boys and Girls Club, the YMCA, Salem Public Library and LEAP for education.
The Salem Public School District’s mission is to provide each student with a sound education which will prepare the student well for personal growth, continuing formal and informal learning, productive work, and active, well-informed participation in self-government upon graduation. The District is comprised of seven elementary schools, grades K-5: Bates Elementary School, Bentley Academy Charter School, Carlton Elementary School, Horace Mann Laboratory School, Nathaniel Bowditch Elementary School, Saltonstall Elementary School, Witchcraft Heights Elementary School, one middle school: Collins Middle School, and three high school options: Salem High School, Salem Prep High School, and the New Liberty Innovation School.
Hotels in Salem
- Hawthorne Hotel: member of Historic Hotels of America in the heart of downtown Salem
- Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites: award-winning hotel within walking distance of Salem's attractions
Living in Salem
Browse real estate for Sale in Salem below by Property Type
Contact us if you have questions or would like to learn more about Ipswich real estate.