Situated on Cape Ann, a rocky peninsula in the northeast corner of Massachusetts, Rockport is a quintessential seacoast town. Originally a small fishing village, it has a population of about 7,500 and is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and Gloucester. Rockport is a popular vacation spot known for its rocky, boulder-strewn ocean beaches.
Rockport is comprised of three areas - the South End, Downtown, and Bearskin Neck. The South End, which is primarily residential, sits along the rocky coastline and is a prime spot for scenic drives, walks, and bike rides. In the center of Rockport, Downtown includes Dock Square, Bearskin Neck, and Main Street. Bearskin Neck is home to "Motif #1" - one of the most painted and photographed scenes in America. Numerous restaurants, small eateries, shops and galleries make the Neck a bustling spot. Tourists and residents can enjoy boat tours, whale watches, and other watery excursions that leave from the wharves.
Pigeon Cove Harbor has a still-working fleet that pulls in after a day at sea. Because of its untouched beauty, this is a popular summer resort for artists and is home to the well-known Pigeon Cove at the Emerson Inn by the Sea, Cape Ann's only historic grand hotel. Although today Rockport is primarily a suburban residential and tourist town, a number of lobstermen still call it home.
Things To Do in Rockport:
- Back Beach: beautiful views and just off Beach Street.
- Cape Hedge Beach: a quiet spot for people looking to get away from the crowds.
- Front Beach: sandy beach that is an easy walk from Rockport village.
- Long Beach: a long stretch of protected, sandy shores.
- Old Garden Beach: an intimate, small beach only a quick walk from town.
- Pebble Beach: known for its rocky shores comprised of smooth pebbles.
Restaurants in Rockport:
- Top Dog of Rockport: "Have to stop” hot dog shop and seafood restaurant located on historic Bearskin Neck.
- Bean & Leaf Café: Charming oceanfront cafe serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The Lobster Pool Restaurant: Ocean fresh seafood made to order!
- Brackett’s Oceanview Restaurant: Serving a variety of fresh and delicious cuisine, complemented by some of the most spectacular water views in Rockport.
- Red Skiff: Delicious breakfast and lunch served all day!
Shopping in Rockport:
- Bearskin Neck Country Store: this old fashioned candy store meets quirky retro insanity!
- Out of The Blue: one of Rockports top jewelry spots!
- The Last Resort: where preppy meets the sea - top notch women's clothing.
- The Paper Mermaid: a charming retail store - offering cards, toys, gifts, and more!
- Rockport Fudgery:
- Tuck's Candy Factory:
Rockport residents can attend Rockport public schools - Rockport Elementay, Rockport Middle School, and Rockport High School or choose from among several private school options in Manchester-by-the-Sea and Gloucester.
Hotels in Rockport:
Living in Rockport:
Contact J Barrett & Company if you have any questions!