Situated on Cape Ann, a rocky peninsula in the northeast corner of Massachusetts, Rockport is a quintessential seacoast town. Originally a small fishing village, it has a population of about 7,500 and is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and Gloucester. Rockport is a popular vacation spot known for its rocky, boulder-strewn ocean beaches.
Rockport is comprised of three areas - the South End, Downtown, and Bearskin Neck. The South End, which is primarily residential, sits along the rocky coastline and is a prime spot for scenic drives, walks, and bike rides. In the center of Rockport, Downtown includes Dock Square, Bearskin Neck, and Main Street. Bearskin Neck is home to "Motif #1" - one of the most painted and photographed scenes in America. Numerous restaurants, small eateries, shops and galleries make the Neck a bustling spot. Tourists and residents can enjoy boat tours, whale watches, and other watery excursions that leave from the wharves.
Pigeon Cove Harbor has a still-working fleet that pulls in after a day at sea. Because of its untouched beauty, this is a popular summer resort for artists and is home to the well-known Pigeon Cove at the Emerson Inn by the Sea, Cape Ann's only historic grand hotel. Although today Rockport is primarily a suburban residential and tourist town, a number of lobstermen still call it home.
Rockport Parks, Beaches and Dining
There are multiple beaches in Rockport - Back Beach, Cape Hedge Beach, Front Beach, Long Beach, Old Garden Beach, and Pebble Beach.
- Back Beach - beautiful views and just off Beach Street
- Cape Hedge Beach - a quiet spot for people looking to get away from the crowds
- Front Beach - sandy beach that is an easy walk from Rockport village
- Long Beach - a long stretch of protected, sandy shores
- Old Garden Beach - an intimate, small beach only a quick walk from town
- Pebble Beach - known for its rocky shores comprised of smooth pebbles
Some places to eat in Rockport:
- Top Dog of Rockport- "Have to stop” hot dog shop and seafood restaurant located on historic Bearskin Neck.
- Bean & Leaf Cafe- Charming oceanfront cafe serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The Lobster Pool Restaurant- Ocean fresh seafood made to order!
- Brackett’s Oceanview Restaurant- Serving a variety of fresh and delicious cuisine, complemented by some of the most spectacular water views in Rockport.
- Red Skiff- Delicious breakfast and lunch menu served all day!
Stores to check out in Rockport:
- Bearskin Neck Country Store- This old fashioned candy store meets quirky retro insanity!
- Out of The Blue- One of Rockports top Jewelry spots!
- The Last Resort- Where preppy meets the sea! Top notch women's clothing.
- The Paper Mermaid- A charming retail shop, offering cards, toys, gifts, and more!
Many homes in Rockport have beautiful views of these sandy shores, as well as water or beach access. Permanent residents take advantage of sunny days on the coast but stunning views can be enjoyed year-round.
Rockport residents can attend Rockport public schools - Rockport Elementary, Rockport Middle School, and Rockport High School or choose from among several private school options in Manchester-by-the-Sea and Gloucester.
Living in Rockport
Discover what is currently on the market in Rockport, MA:
Contact us if you have questions or would like to learn more about Rockport real estate.