Located on the southern bank of the Merrimack River where it empties into the Atlantic Ocean, Newburyport has a long and rich history. It was once a fishing, shipbuilding and shipping center, with an industry in silverware manufacturing. The captains of old Newburyport participated in the triangular trade, importing West Indian molasses and exporting rum made from distilleries located around Market Square near the waterfront. It is also the birthplace of the U.S. Coast Guard.
With a population of approximately 18,000, and occupying 8.7 square miles, the city is 35 miles from Boston, accessible by train in an hour. Newburyport has a thriving downtown with many shops, restaurants, museums, a movie theater, and a YWCA. This is an active community with many events throughout the year including the annual Art Walk, Yankee Homecoming, Documentary Film Festival, River Fest and Great Chef’s Night. Beautiful Federalist homes line the streets of this charming city forming walkable neighborhoods and easy access to shopping, dining, and the waterfront.
Restaurants in Newburyport:
- The Grog: consistent pub food with live music.
- Black Cow Tap & Grill: fine dining in downtown in new location.
- The Poynt: featuring small plates, wood-fired pizzas, and entrees.
- Ceia Kitchen & Bar: delicious food that embraces the heritage of farming and family.
- Agave Mexican Bistro: authentic Mexican food made with high-quality fresh ingredients.
- Brown Sugar: bright, exotic flavors and the “four pillars” of Thai cuisine.
- Lexie's: Get the best Burger in town!
Shopping in Newburyport:
- Dragon’s Nest: toys, games, books, and wonders for children.
- Fat Face: Built to last, consistent fit clothing with quality fabrics and authentic finishes.
- M.K. Benatti Jewelers: beautiful and intricate pieces hand finished for exceptional quality.
- Life is Good: optimistic apparel and accessories featuring positive messaging and comfortable fits.
- Jabberwocky Bookshop: the largest independent bookstores on the Northshore.
- Elephant’s Trunk: upscale women's boutique with unique clothing and accessories.
- Red Bird Trading Company: ever-evolving purveyor of local and globally designed home furnishings.
- JackRabbit: Up-scale running, and sportswear.
Rated #32 in the state for Best Schools by Boston Magazine, The Newburyport School District is comprised of Francis T. Bresnahan lower elementary (pre-K through grade 3), Edward G. Molin upper elementary (grades 4-6), Rupert A. Nock Middle School, and Newburyport High School.
Living in Newburyport:
Contact J Barrett & Company if you have any questions!