Established in 1635, Newbury originally included the land that is now Newburyport and West Newbury. Early industry included Byfield Woolen Mills on the Falls, Old Tappan Grist Mill on Main Street, Sawmill on River Street and the Larkin-Morrill Mill, which later became the Pearson’s Snuff Mill. The Governor’s Academy, the oldest boarding school in America, was founded in 1763 and is still an integral part of Newbury. Today, Newbury stretches for 23.35 square miles and is divided into three villages: Old Town, Byfield, and Plum Island. Each village functions individually under the umbrella of the local government. Newbury, with a population of 7,009 (2016 census) is considered a residential/agricultural community where farming, clamming, and Salt Marsh Haying continue to provide income for local residents.
Parks & Recreation in Newbury
There are many things to do in the town of Newbury. Here are a few options:
- Old Town Hill: Enjoy panoramic views of the Great Marsh and New Hampshire’s Isles of Shoals.
- Parker River National Wildlife Sanctuary: established in 1941 to provide feeding, resting, and nesting habitat for migratory birds.
- Tender Crop Farm: Local farm with fresh produce & their own hormone & antibiotic-free meats
- Bob Lobster: golden-fried seafood, award-winning lobster rolls, homemade crab cakes, chowder & fresh fish
- Rusty Can: chef-owned restaurant serving sandwiches, salads, sides, and sweets
- P I Beachcoma: Cool, local beachside restaurant
- Mad Martha’s Café: Delicious breakfasts by the beach! Local ingredients and native customers
Newbury is part of the Triton Regional School District with one elementary school, Newbury Elementary School, and a Regional middle and high school. Respect, integrity, and excellence is what the District strives to attain for all of its students with a mission to unite in supporting the development of engaged, successful, responsible, resilient learners; well-prepared to be ethical, empathetic, and contributing citizens. The Governor’s Academy is a private high school located in the Byfield Village of Newbury.
Real Estate in Newbury
Discover what is currently on the market in Newbury, Massachusetts below.
Contact us if you have questions or would like to learn more about Ipswich real estate.