Originally part of Rowley, MA, Georgetown was incorporated in 1838 and became a center for manufacturing. The most important industry became shoemaking, which continued through 1970 when the last shoe factory closed. Today, Georgetown is mostly residential, with a population of 8,183 (2010 census). It is a quiet town with a good school system and is lauded for its strong sense of community and friendly neighborhoods. Its proximity to route 95 allows easy access to destinations north and south, including the coasts of New Hampshire, Maine, and Boston, which is only 30 miles south. Still somewhat rural in nature, Georgetown has a town center with several stores and restaurants.
Recreation offerings include The Black Swan, a public golf course, hiking and biking in the Georgetown-Rowley State Forest with several trails among its 1,112 acres, and Crane Pond for hunting, fishing, and bird-watching. If you prefer to engage in the history of Georgetown, The Brockelbank Museum is a fine example of a first-period dwelling that became a tavern in 1765.
Places to Dine in Georgetown
- The Spot: a locals’ tavern in Georgetown serving comfort food and out-of-the-box sushi.
- Flatbread Company: a delicious Flatbread pizza and fresh salads
- Fat Belly BBQ: Great atmosphere and authentic BBQ food!
- Pomodori: not just your average pizza place!
- Deux Ami Boutique: fine gifts for all budgets and occasions
- Scala Art Center: houses many fine shops including jewelry stores, antiques, beads, and photography
- Bent Emporium: vintage shop with women's fashion, collectibles, antiques, art, books, and oddities
- Pratt Hobby Shop: selling radio controlled cars, trucks, planes, model plane and other hobby kits
The mission of the Georgetown Public Schools is to educate all students to their fullest potential so that they may become responsible, tolerant, and successful individuals. Georgetown has one elementary school, Penn Brook Elementary School (grades K-6) and the Georgetown Middle/High School (grades 7-12).
Explore Real Estate for sale in Georgetown
Select the link below to browse real estate for sale in Georgetown, MA.
Contact us if you have any questions!